Wednesday, January 20, 2010

And then came the puppy



Today was a little different than the rest, I spent the day picking up puppy supplies, not exactly the reason why I came to South Africa but I can assure you it was for a good cause. Yesterday our neighbour found a tiny tiny puppy in her yard and immediately brought it over to me, I suppose she knew that I would take care of him. He was in poor condition, hungry and absolutely covered, and I mean covered in fleas. After giving him some milk I decided to take on the task of bathing this tiny little creature. Over an hour later I was still finding hidden fleas, oh my!

With the help of Stumo I constructed a little bed for him and did my best to make him comfortable. I am very fortunate because the family is very fond of him. Last night I woke up 4 times to check on him, he would cry in the night and I would be there to fill his milk bowl and mop up the pee, good thing the family doesn't mind that part.

Today I went into George and bought some puppy food and flea stuff. The family has embraced this puppy and I want to make sure that he stays flea free, especially since the grass here is full of them.

This little guy would not have a chance if it were not for this family. Thembalethu sadly is a place where the people do not have enough food, so the animals certainly suffer, all are full of fleas, at times scratching until they have no fur in places. Many dogs and cats are so skinny that it is upsetting to see.

This little puppy makes me smile every time I see him and I enjoy seeing how compassionate my host family is, especially given that they grew up in a world where there are no pets, just guard dogs and mouse cats. I am very blessed to be here in this home.

PS: Seen here with the puppy is the incredibly beautiful grandson to Mama, Gcinisizwe's brother's little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment