Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup Fever in South Africa

Sorry I have been absent, no internet, but I will fill you in shortly! Until then.....

Since my arrival back in December 2009 South Africa has been on fire with World Cup fever, however this weekend it has elevated until a new level. Schools have gone into winter break early to accomodate the games, vuvuzela's blare in the streets, even at 6am.....

Gcinisizwe and I arrived in Cape Town thursday night and never have I seen this city, or any city for that matter in such a state! People are singing and dancing in the streets, there are fireworks, vuvuzela's are honking everywhere (FIFA plastic horns) and the most amazing thing, people are becoming united! We were lucky enough to stay at a friend's flat our first night, while waiting to be picked up from the local petrol station a lady walked up to us and asked if we needed a ride anywhere! Very nice considering that we are in a big city and normally people do not offer such things! People greet you on the street, everyone has an extra hop in their step.


My beautiful children of Thembalethu celebrating in typical children style, painting their faces with craft paint ha ha ha. Fabulous South African flag boys and girls!!


Gcinisizwe and I scream in excitement as we hold our very own World Cup tickets to the June 11th France vs Uruguay match!!



Gcinisizwe standing in front of his new car....ok, well it's not really his but wow, I think it would hold half the people in Zone 4!!


The beautiful city of Cape Town as seen from the balcony of my friend's flat. Cape Town (and Mo!) I love you!!!



It's been a really long time since I had access to a "proper" kitchen! Look everyone, an oven and four burners!!! (Behind my bum!)


Thankfully the people of Cape Town are much more friendly then their homes would suggest. Take a look at the double spiked fence complete with electric fencing!! If everyone spent their security money on food security and poverty reduction there would be no need for fences.



One of the many houses COVERED in World Cup decorations! What an exciting time to be here!


The beautiful Green Point Stadium of Cape Town as seen from our guest house balcony. Sadly even in such exciting times extreme poverty is not far away as an elderly man limps past, the vibe lost on him as he struggles to get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment