Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Well now I have heard of everything....Proof once again that our work is essential to this community!

Let me tell you a story, this Blog is supposed to be about the behind the scenes life of both myself and the men and women of Thembalethu. Today I heard news that made me both laugh and cry, let me tell you about it.

Yesterday Gcinisizwe and our three friends found work, they were supposed to work all week which is a miracle because there is no work here, and they have been looking forever to find something, anything, because no work means no food. They left the house yesterday morning at 5:30am and traveled a far distance to the next town. They had no food so they intended to buy food once they got there. Now on this day it was the hottest I have experienced in Thembalethu, a scorching 39 degrees in the shade. These men were driven by their boss all the way up the mountain and worked for 12 hours in this heat. Twelve hours of back breaking work, oh, and there are no stores to buy food or water. Their boss knew all of this, and knew that they had nothing to eat but regardless he left the scene in his truck and didn't come back to get them until after 6pm. I happened to call Gcinisizwe around 1pm because I was worried about the men in this heat, I could hear in their voices that they were struggling, it was far too hot to be outside, especially without food or water.

Today again they woke up at 5:30am and traveled back to the same place, only this time I equipped them with multiple bottles of water, lots of food and gloves for their beaten hands. I was quite surprised when just now, at 12:40pm I see them walking back to the house, they were supposed to work until 6pm.

You see their boss informed these men on Saturday that they would each be paid 90 South African Rand (R), but today he changed his tune and said no, I will not pay you R90, instead I will only pay you R9 which is about a dollar. There in the mountains, far away from everything they realized that all of their work was for nothing. The boss man drove them to the base of the mountain and left them there. They then had to walk three hours home, up big hills with no pay for both today or yesterday.They have arrived home feeling defeated, sad, and heartbroken that yet again they and their families will go hungry. There are no laws to protect them from this type of abuse.

EXCEPT, they live in Zone 4 which means that The Themba Development Project has their backs. Feeling angry about their misfortunes I have decided to begin a new project in which I will employ men from the community, they will receive pay for an honest days work and will be able to buy food for their families. Thank you to all of the people that have generously donated funds to The Themba Development Project, you have once again given the families here something that is priceless, hope.

Catherine Robar
Founding Director
The Themba Development Project
http://www.thembaproject.org/
http://thembaproject.blogspot.com/

Donate today, it all adds up to ending chronic poverty! http://www.canadahelps.org/
One person, One community CAN change the world, we have already begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment