Saturday, January 16, 2010

Youth Leadership Football Team Update



I could not have felt more proud last week when I walked to the other side of Thembalethu to watch the boys play Football (Soccer). I heard that these guys were good but wow, they were fantastic. This is the team that benefited from the football uniforms and equipment, boys averaging 18-22 years old were selected from the community who were considered to be at-risk.

Life in Thembalethu is very difficult for these boys, there is no work, no food, and not much to do, it is easy to turn to drugs and alcohol because there is little to do otherwise. This special team was set up to give them a fun activity, to teach them leadership skills and to become active and positive members of the community.

This team has been made possible due to the generosity of Canadians and the dedication of the men in their 30's who live in this community and have volunteered their time to mentor and coach this team.

During my first visit not only did the guys wow me on the field, but they wow'd me afterwards too when the entire group of guys gathered to give me a HUGE thank you for working on their behalf to give them a brighter future. I was so proud, and so humbled. As we walked together back to Zone 4 I felt so proud to be walking amongst them, a sign that I have truly been embraced by this community.

No comments:

Post a Comment