Thursday, July 23, 2009

Siabulayla and Anna have a baby



Siabulayla and his wife Anna had a baby today, May 29 2009. This is their first child and they welcomed a beautiful and healthy little boy into the world. They have given their first born the name Siabonga which in Xhosa means “Many Thanks”. When I first met Siabulayla over a year ago he introduced himself to me as Kevin. This is very common with Xhosa men as they are forced to change their names so that they have an easier time finding work. We call these their “struggle names” as it is an indication that Apartheid is long from over. Gcinsizwe was known as Eric for the longest time, until I begin to realize that this was not in fact what his Xhosa people called him. Both Gcinsizwe and Siabonga have adopted “white” names which their bosses have given them, refusing to call them by their real names. To this day when I meet Xhosa people via telephone they introduce themselves as Michael, John, Peter at which point I remind them that I am a part of their community and that it is ok for them to introduce themselves using their birth name, in fact, I prefer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment