Saturday, July 25, 2009

I learned something new yesterday

It is really amazing to me how I keep learning new things about this community that I find shocking. I was on the phone with Gcinsizwe two days ago, he sounded very depressed and it was the first time I had heard this kind of sadness in his voice. Normally he is very upbeat and positive, even when you and I would be crying. He has the ability to keep his chin up in the most desperate of situations. But still, on this day, he sounded defeated.

For you and I the issue of electricity is simple, we work for a few hours to earn the $50 that we need to pay for a month's worth of power, easy peasy right?? On days where there is a power failure we head to our local diner to have lunch. Well today I learned that most people in this community have to work an entire day just to pay for 4 days of power......

Now I want to put this into perspective for you, we work a few hours so that for one month we can run two televisions, a computer, lights, heat, the stove, microwave, a stereo, a toaster and on and on.....in this community they work for one day just so that for four days they can turn on a two burner hotplate. Seems crazy doesn't it. They hardly use any power and it lasts 4 days. This goes to show how little money they are paid, and how little money they have. Most people in this community are earning less than $2 per day, for many it is less than a dollar a day.

Gcinsizwe had the sound of sadness in his voice because he had no money for power this week and last, his hours have been cut back and he is only working for one day a week. Without power his mother must cook over an open flame which consists of a campfire made outdoors. It has been raining non stop there which means that they cannot build a fire. As a result this family (and many others) have been surviving on water for the last three days.

Again, I really have to thank all of my supporters, because of your donations we have been able to send things like peanut butter, oranges etc, items which can be eaten without cooking. I try to balance healthy foods which can be cooked with healthy foods which can be eaten as is. Thank you to everyone though, I may be the one who is leading navigating the ship, but you are the wind in my sails.

No comments:

Post a Comment