Saturday, September 3, 2011

The making of our house

One of the most exciting things is that I am soon to be a home owner, imagine, my very first home! Well this one is a little different, it is a traditional round house, and it is built entirely by hand. Actually it was supposed to be finished before my arrival in Nqiningana but due to the weather and constant funerals construction has been delayed. I am so proud as I watch Gcinisizwe lift the Earth, create bricks and prepare our house for us. 

Gcinisizwe hard at work, loosening the soil so that he can make bricks.
This area will also make a lovely home garden at one point. 

This is the acting manager for the project, ha ha, just teasing. Puppy enjoys a nap
in the sunshine while Gcinisizwe breaks a sweat. 

I finally caught a baby lamb! Wow, he was so soft!

Gcinisizwe fills the brick mould with wet soil and smooths down the top. 

Slowly slowly we makes enough bricks to finish the house. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Catherine, It has been too long since I've popped onto your website and just had to say I'm so proud of all the work you are doing. Congrats on the many changes in your life; marriage, master's degree, house etc...

    Wish you all the best with your life and your projects :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete