Saturday, October 16, 2010

Catherine Robar, winner of Community Mentor-ship award

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater HalifaxI am very pleased to announce that I have been honored by Big Brothers-Big Sisters for the 2010 Community Mentor-ship Awards. This special award is given to members of the community who have acted as mentors in the community. Nominations are made by the public and winners of the award are honored at the awards gala which takes place on October 22nd in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A special thank you to Abdul Abakar, his beautiful nomination is the reason why I was chosen.

For more information please see below:

http://www.bigbrothersbigsistershalifax.ca/en/home/events/catherinerobar.aspx


In 2008, Catherine Robar departed Halifax for South Africa to volunteer with a community in need. There she discovered Thembalethu, and created The Themba Development Project. The Project’s volunteers (there are no paid staff) work to improve access to food, minimize poverty, encourage education, and to develop short and long term solutions to the food crisis facing so many in South Africa.

Catherine’s impact extends beyond South Africa. Her volunteer work with Halifax’s MISA (Metropolitan Immigrant Settlement Association) has helped newcomers learn English, secure employment, and adjust to life in a new country, “I have faced many challenges in my life including genocide but I never thought there were still people with such a beautiful heart, like Catherine. Since I fled from Darfur over seven years ago, I never thought I could find someone who really wanted to do something better for people. When I found Catherine Robar doing such tremendous efforts for free, to help struggling people, I completely change my mind”.

When asked about mentors in her life, Catherine describes former employer, Catherine De Sua Branson, Vice President of Fraser & Hoyt Travel Management, as a woman of integrity and strength. “Although it’s been a couple years since I worked for Catherine, her teachings stick with me and I often think of her when I am facing certain situations. She taught me that a professional woman can be many things: strong, courageous and confident, but also beautiful, compassionate and a person of their word. Catherine gave me the freedom to put forth ideas, she gave me creative space, but she also provided me with guidance as to how the real world works. She reminded me about the importance of family and a close network of friends. Even Superwoman needs a balanced life, and it is just as important to be a successful business woman, as it is to be a good friend, daughter, sister and community member”.

No comments:

Post a Comment